View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #101
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
A day of dead ends north of Lake Khyargas…

After the little river incident (the Wet Place…) from the previous episode I checked the engine oil the following morning at the hotel. Well above max and that lovely milky colour we all dread. We managed to cobble together 2 ½ litres of oil and I was carrying a spare oil filter. I debated asking the hotel reception whether I was allowed to do an oil change at the hotel. As I wouldn’t necessarily like the answer, I did it anyway without asking! There was an old kettle around the back and I hid behind the laundry room.

Overnight I dried stuff including gaffer taping my gloves to the spotlight in the bathroom, narrowly avoiding burning the hotel down.

Some video footage filmed and edited by Moritz that give you a flavour of what we encountered.

Wild Mongolia - YouTube

Funny camels at 2min... The post at 2.45 mins isn't a fencepost. We stuck it there to guide us after recceing the best place to cross the stream/terrain.

The (S)Hite beer mentioned in the previous episode.

Tracklog from Mapsource after spending a fun day trying to rejoin the Northern route from the Middle route because the Reiseknow paper map said there was one. We couldn't find it. All tracks lead to sheer drop-offs or dead ends.

What a view!

Lake Khyargas in the distance

No way through!

A moment of contemplation?

I got the impression this was a knocking shop... The only building for 10s of miles around

Beer oclock?

Easy does it. Don't spill any!

Duff beer?

A bike without a front wheel (nor forks) is only half a bike

Funny local man who even spoke a few words of German

:-)

Another great campsite, although (yet another) storm blew up over night. My Vango tent held firm

Ernie catching some rays

Mongolians do like their horses
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote