About this time I was pleased with how things were progressing but i wanted a little more power and efficiency from the engine.
The air box was left standard but a better quality and freer flowing K&N filter was fitted.
Now the exhaust, aftermarket units are expensive or if cheap they require a custom fit but a little searching of the net showed these bikes respond well to having the muffler internals cleaned up a little.
I went to a specialist exhaust shop and in exchange for a bottle of whiskey we cut the end off, gutted out the muffler and fitted just a few baffles in place.
A larger end cap was welded on and I now have a factory looking muffler with all factory markings still imprinted.
The bike was then taken to a mechanic and we changed the jets in the carburetor to get it running right.
I now have a bike that will top out at 130km/h on a good day, sit on 100km/h in all but the strongest winds and I get 3.5L/100km (70mpg).
And it sounds throaty like a dirt bike should.
Not long after these mods I went on a ride to see some friends with a 6yo son and as soon as he heard it the bike was christened Grumble.