View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 818
My daily commute on a good day is 35km around the Queen Charlotte Drive but if the road is icy I am forced to take the much longer State Highway and that distance becomes 70km.
With that distance, cool temps and highway speeds a windscreen, no matter how small is a big help.

After a lil looking around on the net I came accross Nordieboy's great trashcan windscreen and i had my insperation.

A few templates were drawn up and cut out on card to see what would fit and still look good:

I ended up going with the right hand design, cut it out of some 4mm plastic and bent it with a simple press and careful use of a butane torch.
It was then bolted on but at higher speed it vibrated quite badly.
Back to the drawing board, another piece of plastic, clear acrylic this time was bolted to the handle bars and screen and this strengthened the screen enough to work perfect:

This clear acrylic has now provided me with a handy place to mount my GPS, a 12v socket and the controller for my heated grips:

the screen works great for me, it is high enough in a seated position to block my core from the worst of the weather and still low enough to provide good visibility.
And yet offroad it is well out of the way, by leaning slightly forward I can still see my front wheel.

My DRZ400E Thread

Te Hopo screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 01:27 AM
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote