Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #63
GRinCR OP
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Vapor CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
Hey Greg,

I'm planning to get a Vapor for my RS. Did you use a kit for a specific bike or a universal kit? I was mainly wondering if the wires for the temperature and tacho pickup are long enough, or if they had to be lengthened.

Cheers,
David.
David,

I did use a model specific Vapor, at least for a 1990 DR 650, not necessarily the RS. I found it by Google shopping “1990 DR 650 VAPOR”, cheapest vendor, $89 if I remember correctly. Then I started the international shipping and doodies process.

All wires were plenty long with exception of the one for the Temp sending unit. Where you see the CPU mounted in the pic, the wire is about as tight as I would be comfortable with. After a few months of riding I would like the CPU higher up, closer to the windscreen so it would be nice to find a longer wire (IMHO).

I haven’t had the opportunity to see a temp reading yet. When I had just finished installing the plug with the copper unit in place, I smashed my head on the handle bars getting up. Of course I got perturbed and readjusted the bars cranking them to the right while cursing. Turns out I had forgotten that I tied the loose end of the wires off on the handle bar to keep them out of the way. Result: stretch and SNAP! Broken wires. Yet another lesson learned.

BTW: final box of parts arrived today… once I figure out this “No Spark” issue that appeared this AM it is time for the teardown.

Greg
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 08:25 PM
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote