View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Do you want a real bargain? Go to Amazon and look for a BMW Tourance jacket. They are selling for $275 and that is an absolute steal. It is waterproof and I've really put it through its paces. It includes VERY good armor and a thermal liner that zips out. With the liner in, there is nothing in MO that will hurt you.

Extreme heat is a challenge but then you're looking at the Darien. The Tourance has side vents which the Darien does not. Even with the vents open, anything above 95 is a little rough, but there is nothing that makes 100 really comfortable.

I've had mine for 3 years now and like you, most of my riding is commuting. I did take it to Chile last year and have crashed with it. I still wear it and am absolutely amazed at how well built and versatile this thing is.

For pants, I don't think you can do better than the Dariens or the AD1. They are easy to get on and off at work and are waterproof. For a commuter, there just isn't anything close in terms of use. With no liner, it isn't stifling hot and you can loosen the legs to get a little air up your leg. In the winter, they keep the cold air out and you're inner liners can work to keep you warm.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote