Thread: 2013 bmw f800gt
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #220
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by fin reaper View Post
Sorry folks, I did mean hyperstrada😨. That's some good mind reading there. As for the power thing, I wasn't expecting Ninja 1000 or Monster 796. But after reading a comparo of FZ8, Street triple, 796, Shiver, and F800R which uses the same mill as the 800GT, I just expected a little more oomph. Perhaps if I rode the GS over to the dealer and not the Shiver, I would have thought differently.
I used to own an F800R, and the trick with that bike was its very low curb weight - the F800GT is toting around about 55 lbs more tupperware. That means it ends up with a pretty similar torque to weight ratio to a vstrom 650, as it happens.

The exhaust is a function of the 360 degree crank BMW went with, to make it sound similar to their boxers. I didn't particularly care for it, but it contributed to the F800's funky german-ness. All in all I greatly preferred my DL650 motor to the F800 motor. The hyperstrada is about 20 lbs less than the F800GT, too.

If I was looking for a middleweight sports-tourer I'm not sure I could justify the F800GT relative to others in the category, but the best comparison is to other tour-capable bikes with similar high speed comfort (read: wind protection) and luggage options along with similar low weight/maneuverability. 600+ lb sports tourers probably feel nothing at all like an F800GT, so the comparison is a bit weird.

The F800R might not feel like the shiver much, either - it had a long wheelbase, wide rear tire for its weight and an overcompensating steering damper for low speeds, and some gear ratios that sacrificed much slab usability. I'm much happier with the R1200R, but I think that was the bike I really wanted to begin with.

I think a faired road-going F800 is a good thing, but if economical is one of your criteria, it probably won't fare well against the <$10k competition.