View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
The next day, George slept until 3 in the afternoon. Apparently he was tired. I spent a good part of the first official day of break enjoying the balmy 50 degree sunny weather by lying down on my bike and reading for a while, followed by riding a short trail that runs through the property. Eventually hunger got the best of me, and I went into town to get food and another rear tube to replace the one I had installed at Menards. I didnít skimp this time and bought a massively thick one. Flat tires suck.

I head back to the house and we pull off the rear wheel on the KTM. Sure enough, after 3000 miles, the rear bearings are pretty shot, as are the seal rings. Iíve never seen a shaft seal grooved that badly before. We reinstall the tire and looked online Ė for anyone with that particular KTM, Moose Racing sells a bearing and seal upgrade kit for about $60 on Motorcycle Superstore. It didnít end up arriving before we left, so the trip was done on mildly shot bearings. Only later did we find out mine were just as bad, but with 6.5k miles and 30 years on them.

We rode to Story, IN to run the bikes in a little more. There are some pretty nice roads down there. Story basically looks like a town out of a fairy tale; very quaint and secluded.

That night, we go to have dinner with some friends, and since the DRZ hadnít had many miles on it, we decided to ride. We were almost there, riding up a hill, and the DRZ died. It would crank, but it didnít even try to start. I had a strap on my bike, so after determining that we werenít going to get it started, I towed Solomon and the DRZ back home. Luckily it wasnít too far, but the XT makes a pretty darn good tractor.

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote