View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #16803
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Hmmm... Well, I dunno'...

My Harley-Davidson XR1200 Sportster doesn't "lumber" in any way at all, nor does it "respond" anything like a "cargo ship"...

Of course, all that may have something to do with the "Braking" forged aluminum 17" wheels at both ends along with "Braking" stainless steel discs, the Showa BPF fully adjustable forks, terrific YSS "piggyback" shocks out back, and some other changes to improve its steering geometry...

Of maybe it could just be that it hangs out with another one of my bikes (seen on the trailer with it) from time to time and learns by osmosis.

That said, and remember I love my Harley XR, I still don't have the depth of faith in its reliability that I do in my Yamaha Super Tenere. I own lots of bikes now (a Ducati, a Norton, the XR, my S-10, a couple of Honda's, a Kawasaki, and a bunch of vintage CZ's), and goodness only knows all the other ones I've owned in over 40 years of motorcycling... No bike I have ever owned in all that time has inspired the same kind of trust I have in the Super Tenere. With nearly 29,000 miles on it, all of those in 19 months, I can confidently say I would ride it anywhere without even the slightest concern that it might leave me stranded. It's a rock...

Dallara

~
Well if you put that way.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind something like that XR. I had a riding bud who owned a farkled out 1200 sportster with scrambler pipes. He really tore up the twisties with that thing...and the pipe sounded great even though they weren't blow you ears drums out 'cool.'