View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #70
Sideoff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Looking back over this RR I realize how little actual "riding" is in it. ha! I promise there was 9,000 miles of continuous riding leading up to all this... really there was!!! haha.

In conclusion: the bike is still on the base as of today. I am working with the missionary I met over breakfast in Puerto Lempira (tracked him down on the internet) to get the bike back to his house for storage. I have been in touch with the comandante of the base several times since I got home, but as with a lot of stuff down there it is taking a while.

As soon as I'm off crutches I'll return to honduras for a week to get the bike fixed up, bring some gifts for the soldiers on the base, and hopefully help the missionary somehow with his orphanage and school as a way of saying thanks. I'll store the bike with him over the summer and then return to Honduras next Fall to finish the ride to Panama. I'll update this post with some pics for the rest of the trip through Puerto Lempira to Puerto Cabezas in Nicaragua, and then down to Managua.

It would be great if some other advriders saw this post and decided to experiment with routes through La Moskitia (aka "la mosquitia" or "mosquito coast", including those spellings so this thread pops up in searches if someone else is doing research). Seems like a lot of travelers fly right through Honduras without stopping, I almost did the same thing.

Here are a few other ideas for trips: a) there are a few bicyclists who have attempted to connect large portions of la moskitia on singletrack foot trails (check online) and b) I have heard you can cross by riding on ocean beaches literally the entire way to PL if you can find a way to cross the river mouths. I was told that if you wait long enough at a river mouth a boat will eventually come and you can generally flag them down with a few bucks and get a ride across. If anyone is thinking about trying either of these routes, or taking the same route I did via boat, send me a note if I can help.

Thx for the comments!
Sideoff is offline   Reply With Quote