View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #168
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
nazca, peru to lima, peru

thursday, march 28, 2013

all of my clothes permanently smell like mold. i'm going to have to burn them all when i get home.

i saw some more nazca lines on the way out of town this morning. how the ancient nazcans knew that there would be a restaurant named 'la variante' and that it would be 100 meters from this hill, i have no idea. they must have been much more advanced than previously thought...

more nazca lines, nazca, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the ride up to lima today was pretty abysmal. 6 hours of heavy traffic with wind-blown sand and dust. a couple hours south of lima, the road finally expanded to a 4-lane freeway. i've never been so happy. the two lane highway was a nightmare. there is a center dividing line, but no one seems to care about that. the only rule for cars passing trucks, or trucks passing cars seems to be 'do it whenever it makes the least sense.' and if you are a motorcycle coming in the opposite direction, you better have an escape route and a lot of shoulder, because you don't matter to them. they just keep passing and expect you to get out of the way. i was considering that it might be better to be nearly freezing to death alone on another high mountain pass.

boring roads south of lima, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i needed a brief repose from the tedium, so i stopped off in the resort town of paracas, peru. this is the site of an in-famous andean society known for binding the skulls of children to purposefully deform them. a museum on the main drag features several of the actual skulls, pulled from buried sites discovered in the 1920's. some have suggested alien influence. i've never seen an alien skull before, but the ones i saw and held today were pretty creepy indeed.

paracas oblong skull, paracas, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

paracas skull, paracas, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

paracas mom, dad, and baby, paracas, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

juan the museum guy, paracas, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

riding into lima was interesting. i wish i had a shot of the traffic i was riding through, but if i tried to capture one, i wouldn't be here to write about it. again, rules don't seem to apply.

lima, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

on that topic, i am going to have a difficult time adjusting back to traffic rules in the states. i've turned into a south american in that regard. it's a survival mechanism. if you don't drive fast and crazy here, you are actually in much more danger. i've become fond of splitting lanes, speeding all the time, using both left medium and right shoulders to pass, driving on sidewalks, parking on sidewalks, ignoring police, not paying at toll-booths, and many other things that are now second nature.

had a run on the beach to clear the head after fighting 2 hours of traffic to the hostel. off to explore the miraflores neighborhood, where i'm staying for the next day or two. lima has an un-official population of 12 million people. i hope to meet all of them.

house project hostel, lima, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset 2 on miraflores beach, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

sunset on miraflores beach, peru by porkandcorn, on Flickr

porkandcorn screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 07:56 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote