Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
We farm all that land at Jayne and I5!
Beautiful place, aint it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I went all the way to a DV Rally and never even made it into the park! Panamint Valley just had too much to offer for me to make it in there this year.

Great fun on two Lost tours of duty. Finn and Nancy are great ride leaders.

Really enjoyed meeting and riding with Dan and Casey.

My trip started near San Jose, and I didn't want to ride all the way to DV in one day so I stayed the night in the San Joaquin Valley with family. I hate the I-5 and H-99 routes South (101 ain't much better) so I take my time with H25 from Hollister. This goes thru Tres Pinos, so you might as well stop at Flapjacks for grub:

Then 198 thru Coalinga and I tried a different route east this time: straight out of Coalinga on Polk St, becomes Jayne Ave, then Nevada Ave after going under I-5 and crossing Avenal Cutoff Rd. This road goes thru, straight thru, what was once the largest lake west of the Mississippi River: Tulare Lake.

During high runoff years it got up over 700 square miles in size, but most of it was very shallow. I was told there was a sustainable turtle fishery that supplied San Francisco, truck-pulled seine nets would haul in thousands of pounds of fish at a pull, and ducks would blacken the sky, before it was drained and converted to agriculture. You wouldn't recognize it as a lake bed today; this is looking due south from just east of Stratford straight thru the heart of what was once Tulare Lake:

I didn't bother with Nevada Ave; it was a busy dusty dirt ag road, but it sure would be something to have a lake in that part of the valley. So off to a great night with family, then the next morning I took my favorite route over the Southern Sierra Nevada: Old Stage Rd to Greenhorn Pass, thru Kernville, and down 178.

More later after I get some paid work done...