View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #347
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
How easily did your axles come out? I recently went to change out the axles on my 03 H6 and could not get the axle to budge from the knuckle, on either side. No amount of heat seemed to help either. Had to take the car to the local indie shop and they tried their hydraulic press, only to have the end of the axle shatter. Seems the splines were just welded in and this is on a car that saw little to no salt in it's life. I had to replace the knuckle assembly on both sides as well as the axles and bearings. I wanted to cry when I got the bill. What should have been a couple hours of me under the car ended up costing a small fortune. I wish someone would pay me $121 per hour for my labor!

Loving your build and looking forward to the story of your race.

- Ken
Hey Ken, sorry to hear about your troubles....as a native of the northeast, I remember and don't miss salt roads at all. We will be doing the axles on Saturday and I will be sure to post up how it goes. Luckily, this car has been great in terms of removing undercarriage components. Even the black Impreza I bought first was a bitch...this one has been like butter..so I hope the axles prove to be the same.

I did get a visit from Santa in the brown truck and my race collars and window nets arrived.

I was mocking shit up and I think I maybe able to use the rear seatbelt components out of the Outback to make our window net installation kit...and save a little money in the process and recycle some OEM parts.

Peeling the plastic coating off of the buckle:

Zipties are just for mock-up obviously..

Ray will have a little bit of welding to do...but it should look something like this when we're done...

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote