The way the shift lever lines up to the stator cover makes me think it could easily punch a hole in the cover if I tip it over in the rocks. I saw somewhere here or over on the WRR forum that a member had made a nice case guard out of stainless steel. So I decided to copy the idea. Finding some stainless steel sheet metal locally for a reasonable price proved difficult. So, I stopped into the dollar store looking for something that I could cut up. I found this stainless spatula, and figured that I couldn't do any better for a buck.
I made a paper template and traced that onto the spatula. I cut the rough shape out with tin snips and filed it down to size. Glued it on with black RTV and viola: