View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #788
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 307
Tiger 800 Fender Extenders

I find it baffling that a motorcycle designed in a country with 160 to 200 days per year of measurable rainfall comes equipped with inadequate fenders. The issue is to prevent spray on the front of the engine and exhaust pipes and especially crud from being deposited all over the rear of the bike and luggage while riding in the rain; form over function, I suppose. As an engineer, I find this approach to design to be disagreeable but usually relatively simple to improve upon.

Pyramid Plastics and Triumph, and probably other suppliers, provide front fender extenders. I went for the Pyramid Plastics version, having had success with this company’s products in the past. Just clean and roughen the surfaces of both the extender and the inside of the fender, use a good quality epoxy, clamp overnight and all’s good:

A rear fender extender presented more of a challenge. Triumph lists a fender extender kit on its web site, variously as P/N A9708214 or PFKL2061167. I placed several orders with both Triumph dealers and non-dealer web sites, only to learn that the kit was not available. One supplier even suggested that Triumph may have pulled the product due to concerns of one sort or another; there may be some truth to this opinion.

I was tempted to design my own rear fender extender but decided to visit the local dealer’s parts department one more time, Foothills Triumph in Lakewood, CO. The counter person got creative: “Yes, the rear fender kit is not available, but that is due to the reflector fasteners being out of stock, the extender itself can be ordered.” Apparently, this is a stock item on Tiger 800s that are delivered to New Zealand and Australia. The part number is T2302037, the price $29 and it was promised to arrive within a week. I was skeptical that it could be that easy, but surprise, surprise, the part came in and was as promised.

There were no instructions in the package nor on the Triumph web site with instructions, which I have used for other OEM parts. On the UK Tiger 800 web site in December of 2011, “tigertom” gave installation instructions. About the only thing that gave tigertom trouble was the need for longer license plate bolts, which was not necessary for my unit, leading to a conclusion that some re-design may have taken place.

So here are my instructions:

First remove the side reflectors and rear reflector, the license plate and two bolts hidden behind the license plate. Then remove the inner fender panel, two bolts. The panel will fall right out in your hands:

Slide the new larger fender extender into the same location as the panel you just removed. It snaps into the existing fender / license plate holder and stays in place, even without fasteners:

Install the two bolts below the seat (the bolts that held in the original inner fender panel) and the center fastener below the license plate, the fastener that held the reflectors in place, use the side reflectors if you wish. There are two additional holes behind the license plate for bolts to tighten the new extender to the existing fender. The bolts that were removed earlier will fit but you will need to provide your own nuts and washers as these bolts fastened on to clip-nuts in the removed inner fender panel and these don’t fit on the new part. Then install your license plate with the same fasteners that you already used for the license plate.

One additional item: the rear deflector. It is held in place by barbed-type washers on two plastic posts on the deflector housing. The barbed washers can easily be removed with a bit of care, using pliers and a flat-bladed screw driver. Slip the reflector on to the new fender extender, re-use the barbed washers and you are all done. Total time for this work should be less than 15 minutes. Pretty good deal for $29 plus tax.

Now for the next form-over-function design flaw: does anybody have a good and solid solution for adding about 3” to the chain guard to prevent chain lube to be slung all over the rear of the bike?
Wandering Dane is online now   Reply With Quote