View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650 View Post
I'm trying to plan a short little ride with my dad this summer. We've done little trips together before and we always have a blast. This sort of thing looks like it would be great, but I have questions.

How hard would you rate these routes? He doesn't have much experience off paved roads. Second, do you have a line on bike rentals that would be suitable? It doesn't look like the sort of thing he'd want to take a road kind down.

I'm trying to expand his motorcycling horizons a little.
The Cascade Discovery Route is NOT road-bike friendly,
and it was not really designed to accommodate n00bs on a brand new GS with Tourances or similar,
...without some experience and stamina, and hopefully, some knobbies .
An "Adventure Spirit" is definitely required to have fun on much of this Route.

About 20% of the Cascade Discovery Route is what I consider to be.....decidedly not n00b friendly; rocky and nasty even. It was designed to be kick-ass fun for mentally and physically prepared riders on bikes of all types and sizes, including most well-prepared Big Trailies. These are very old and never improved two-track rocky & rutted troads that you would never take any normal, unmodified 4-wheel drive or Sport-Utility on. Blinker-breaking stuff for those that try to ride it without positive authority.
The toughest sections may certainly be bypassed with alternates by some or all of the group.
And I like my groups to be small enough to make this easy to do.

Another 30-60% is definitely challenging for all riders. The percentage of this type of riding depends on your definition of challenging. As much old dirt-only two-track as possible, but doable by just about anyone that has decent experience on any bike, just maybe at a slower pace for those new to dirt (which is just fine).

Less than 20% is plain old gravel, with less than 3% on pavement.

A bike rental place near Bend, Oregon specializes in Dual Sport Rentals, and offers a variety of Dual Sport bikes from small to large:
http://www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com/Tours.html
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote