View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtj View Post
Thought I could eventually figure this out, but haven't been able to find a reasonably easy way to do so.

What are the recommended ways to find gas stops in the appropriate range when planning a trip.

Say I have a typical average range of 300km and wish to find some gas stops every 300km or so along a track/route to have saved as waypoints in the GPS during the trip, so I dont have to call CAA .

In Basecamp, I can use the find feature for fuel POI and locate fuel stops when centered on the map. I don't see a "find" like feature in Google Maps, but could transfer Google Maps waypoints to Basecamp and onto the GPS if this is a possibility? Is there some type of scale feature or something better than just guessing at the 300 km distances from the small "scale" in the lower left corner?

Much Appreciated.
this is what I do.

Let's say for example you're going from Toronto to Ottawa. That's a total of approximately 451km. Once you have that route plotted out in googlemaps what you do is drag the point "B" back along the route. As you're moving it back you'll see that there's a distance calculator box on the lower right of the waypoint marker that tells you what the distance is. So I drop it in at about that 300km range and then zoom into point "B". That places me near exit 659 on route 401.

Then I type in "gas station" on the search bar and it gives me the nearest stations around. In this example the gas stations nearest there are across the border in Alexandria so I just keep zooming out until I see something. Looks like Gananoque is your closest gas station. Better to look for something closer, than further to your 300km range so that you don't risk running out of gas. :)

Another thing I like to do is to check the street view once I have located a station. Some times you'll get a waypoint but when you look at the street view then you soon realize that the place has been out of business for years. that's no good. If no street view there's typically a phone number you can call to make sure the station actually exists.

Hope that helps.

cyberdos screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 03:27 PM
cyberdos is online now   Reply With Quote