View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #2910
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 208
I did a short test ride on a 1190 Adventure R today. I currently ride a BMW R1200GS Adventure and a KTM 690 Enduro and was curious to see if the new 1190 could replace the GSA.

My first impression was that the bike feels surprisingly light and agile. After riding the GSA to the dealer and hopping on the 1190 the latter felt like half the weight compared to GSA. For my size (6'3 feet, 200 pounds) the ergonomics were reasonably good. Handling-wise there's not much to say that hasn't already been said: the bike handles beaufifully and there''s plenty of power which is delivered smoothly. The slipper clutch is a nice addition and the clutch is easily operated with one finger.

Overall the new Adventure R was much more civilized than I perhaps expected. Apparently the electronics are doing their job and deciding what's sensible for the circumstances.

As for small details and other insignificant observations:
- the wiring seemed to be somewhat better than the miserable rat's nest on the 690
- the indicator switch is definitely not designed for thick gloves: there's about 2 mm movement to each side
- the small windscreen was just fine for my height for speeds up to 90 mph
- all the plastic stuff in the rear (grab handles, luggage mounts etc.) feels somewhat flimsy but that's the price to pay for low weight I guess

The new 1190 Adventure is certainly a very fun and versatile bike and you can ride it insanely fast.

Could it replace the GSA for doing long all-road trips with a shitload of gear? Hmm...that's something to think about
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote