View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #455
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,524
Great ride. Wish I'd gone west. Way more interesting than I thought it'd be scenery wise. Great photography, mate.
I always thought Lasseter died in that cave and was buried nearby. Obviously another cave far away. Info on the sign was great. Lasseter's story is an amazing one. There's a cave in the side of Uluru that has aboriginal cave paintings that tells the story of the biplane, the "Golden Quest" that was forced down with engine trouble during the search for Lasseter. The pilot walked to the Rock looking for water and marked arrows around the rock base pointing in the direction he walked. He hid from the local aboriginals near a waterhole before being rescued by a camel team that was involved in the ground search. I have a couple of books you can borrow if you'd like to read about this famous episode in Oz history. Your photos bring it alive once again.
And not to sound like a suck up, mate, but this is becoming the best RR by an Oz inmate. Compulsory viewing, I reckon, ya bandy legged bastard. Very jealous of your travels. Hope you get eaten by a croc one day.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote