View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,012
Hi chris7s -- It's a little hard to tell from your map, but it looks like you have routed from Los Angeles to Santa Cruz on what - I-5?? If you don't take Hiway 1 up the coast, you are truly missing out on one of the most scenic roads in the state, if not the country.

Here's my suggestion for a Los Angeles- Santa Cruz stretch: Not sure where you are starting from in the LA area, but get onto I-5 heading north. At Gorman, head west on 138 and then take 33 south to Ojai and then Ventura. From Ventura, take 101 north and then at Santa Barbara, take 154 north and meet up again on the 101 northwest of Los Olivos. Continue on the 101 until San Luis Obispo, and from there, get on Hiway 1 and take it all the way to Santa Cruz.

This stretch of Hiway 1 gets a fair amount of traffic, but if you get an early start (say, spend the night in the San Luis Obispo area), you can avoid much of the traffic. BUT you will also probably get lots of fog. Spring and early summer gets fog on the coast -- it's just the way it is.

If you could link your route, we all could get a better view of your proposed route and have more suggestions, too.

Also, get yourself a Parks Pass:
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote