View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
There are LOADS of guys riding light bikes, all the TW200's, xt225's, crf230, wr250, dr350's, all the Euro brands, 2 smokes, they run into tree's, rocks, go off cliff's, and crash in every way.

Look back through face plant, all the X rays are on street crashes on big bikes or big bikes in the dirt, mostly older guys, not the 25 year olds.
The big bikes in the dirt crashes often happen at lower speeds.

I crash all the time in the dirt, the only time I got all busted up was on a tall 650.

They are hard to handle, they want to keep going when they fall over, the front tire tends to dig in with all the weight, they may be taller so you fall from higher up, and being tall and heavy, a dab will not save you.
You also might be going faster then you would on a smaller lower powered bike (not Euro brands).

Often, since they do more street, they have tires on them that do better on the street.

Way in the past, it was big 2 stokes with crappy suspension.
Light, low, plenty of power, you did not go real fast over real rough stuff, and when you lost it, it was not a big deal unless you were crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhaleyscomet View Post
I have a KLR650 and a Honda CRF250L. My son rides a WR250r and I recently sold a TW200. Below 40mph the TW200 may be one of the most fun bikes out there. It is actually a lot of fun seeing how slow you can climb hills (very tractor like) and taking technical trails.

I too wonder about the danger of big bikes in the dirt. It just seems that the heavier the bike the more it is going to hurt when you go down. Also, a lighter bike can often be righted with a strategically placed foot but once a big bike starts to go the rider better get out of the way.

My big question is do we see all these big bike-dirt-minor getoff injuries because big (ie heavy) bikes injure more or is it just a reflection that so many more folks are out there doing serious dirt/gravel miles on heavier bikes rather then on 250's?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote