View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #8497
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I'm not sure how to say it nicely, your logic sucks. A stock pedal cost's ~$129 while the stock footpeg bracket cost's ~$132. The footpeg bracket is WAY less likely to get fubared compared to the stock pedal so just put on the stronger pedal and break less often... even if you did damage the footpeg bracket, it would be less frequently (never) so no matter how you slice it going with the stronger pedal (after ruining the stocker) will come out cheaper in the end. Much cheaper and less frustrating than buying a couple stockers every season! If you were that worried about it, you could Heli-coil the female threads on the frame bracket side and use a grade 8 (or F9-11) bolt there too, I wonder what the weak link would be then?

Maybe I should install weaker handlebars so that I don't break my bar mounts again? Then I could just carry spare low quality parts with me? Not likely.
I agree with Christophe on this one.

Once you've had some frame damage resulting from a twisted pedal or footpeg, you'd do the same ...

The bike prior to this one was written off for this reason - in this country, you can't re-register a bike that has had any form of frame damage - end of bike, which fortunately was reimbursed by the other party's insurance ...

Aside from that, damage to attachment points is generally not repairable in the bush - which can be a major issue ...

Softer levers can generally be re-bent several times before they break - and generally last several years ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote