View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #136
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,564
So this thread has been pretty quiet recently, seems my employer thinks getting the job done is just as important as my riding time. I have a little different view on that, but my weekends have been full with my "other" life and I've really missed being on the road, in the mountains, riding and enjoying the moment.
I came to the conclusion it was essential to my sanity to take a weekend off. My plan was to ride up 108 to Kennedy Meadows where the highway is closed for the winter and just take a day relaxing. Then something un ordinary happened, the passes opened in April! You've got to be kidding me. This was meant to be.
Rolling out in the morning I couldn't decide if I wanted to ride 3 passes, or just hit Sonora Pass and relax. Then it hit me, why not do both? Besides I really had the itch to ride, so the new plan was to ride over Ebbitts and Monitor like I had nothing to live for and still get to Sonora Pass by early afternoon. And that's what I did. I was scrubbing in new tires and felt like a caged animal set free up there.
So the day wasn't much about photos, but some hard riding. Still, something seemed wrong about going over these first two passes without at least a "photo of record". First stop of the day, just over Ebbits Pass. Man these roads are just killer.

Kind of ironic that the last installment to this thread was just down the hill from here. SO glad I made that ride and got the photos of Chalmers Mansion as by now the snow was gone that low, and the photo opportunity with it.
Monitor Pass was really play time....tires were feeling GOOD. No traffic and clear road. Probably won't be this good again until Fall when the riding season starts again. One more quick stop in the Eastern Sierras, where the mountains meet the desert.

Riding familiar turns heading up the hill this place just feels like coming home. A quick "Scouting" run over the top and figured then I'd find a spot for lunch when what do I see parked on the side of the road?

Now I'm not really shy about introducing myself, so I quickly stop and proceed to get to know the owner of this sexy machine. I swear, moto people are just the best on the planet, and what a great place for a B.S. session with my new friend John.

After listening to his riding impressions of the Guzzi and showing interest he casually tells me I should take it for a spin. Can you think of a better test ride for this bike than Sonora Pass? I can't. Seems he was interested in my Tenere and so the swap was made and we rode a few miles with enough turns to really get a decent first impression of the others ride. I think we were both looking like a couple giddy schoolgirls after the ride. I love the spontaneity of being on the road.

A hungry Guzzi watches lunch pass by.

Shortly after we part ways and I head back over the pass for lunch. I know restaurants are cool for being social and all, and it's the ADVrider thing to take a photo of your meal, but can you think of a better place to eat a B.T. sandwich than this? ( B.T. is just a BLT without the lettuce... that's getting to close to eating salad)

Nothing like taking a nap in the high sierras and waking up to this. This is where I get my landscaping ideas.

It's late in the day and I start rolling again. One last stop at one of my "super secret" chill spots. Doesn't look like much from the road, but a short hike down leads to a hidden path that will take you to an outcropping I like to climb out on and look down. Besides I needed a new profile photo and I think this represents me well.

More chill time. Just sitting there being in tune with the Universe. I always photograph this place as it's always a little different. Maybe I have an overactive imagination (I do) or my mind just thinks differently than everybody else on the planet, but I started to see something in the shadows that was a bit freaky, but cool, and now everytime I look at this photo I can't "not see" it. Give it a minute.

It's always hard to leave, but the Sun was low in the sky and time to roll. It's funny, but I cleaned my visor, checked my tire wear and I realized I was doing every thing I could to avoid leaving. What a great day, I felt recharged and satisfied once again.

I usually hit the passes the first weekend open. We are in for a dry year. What a contrast to opening weekend two years ago with record snowfall, thought I'd throw in a few photos from that ride just for fun.

See Ya up There!!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote