View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
Some say and think:
You either have big gonzolas or no gonzolas to ride a scooter.
I love my 650 Burgman.
Anyone can decide if they think I'm a man or woman.
I don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks.
Do you care what others think of your car/truck/motorcycle/ watercraft/airplane/etc. purchases?

The damn 650 Burgman is easy to mount, very comfortable at any sane speed, respectable gas mileage, good insurance price, easy to do routine maintenance, can keep up with most riders on whatever they are riding, etc.
All I can say is: test drive one or all the maxi's you can.
If you like any one of them, next step is to check the size of your gonzolas if you have a pair.
Yup. It all depends on how you define "manhood."

Once upon a time, it took heavy-duty SKILL to ride. Kick-starting without breaking a leg (have one kick back on you and tell me I'm exaggerating, okay?) Hand-shifting. Going more than 40 miles without frantically dumping it and standing by the roadside, rubbing your backside in pain. Modulating the brakes. Adjusting the brakes. Just stopping with the brakes of those times.

Today, with FI, light controls, ABS...the manhood quotient is way down. I'd posit that it's easier to ride a motorcycle than drive a manual-shift car.

The touring scoot, with its variator or auto drive, takes it one step further. Nope...no heroics in going for a ride.

The heroics are in standing the withering stares...from the grey ponytails with the HARLEY-DAVIDSON tattoos, who trailered their garage queens to Sturgis. Have you THAT kind of tough?

Then, and only then, you'll be a man, my son.

Get on your Burgman - let's go.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote