View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #137
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
A few observations about my 650 Vstrom after 900 miles:

Right now I feel like I could not have made a better decision. When people say this bike does it all, you don't fully realize what they mean, until you live with it through a few different situations.

Run through the twisties along with the liter bikes - check
Stable/comfortable highway tourer - check
Nimble city navigator - check
Comfortable Ergos for 7 days a week commuting - check

Those were the important things to me.

I've gotten into sloped parking lot situations that made me appreciate the (relative) lightness of the vstrom. I remeber having trouble pushing the tenere around on a flat surface at the dealership. I really would not enjoy a heavier bike for my purposes and I feel it would probably have already been dropped a few times.

I rode to work through a rain storm and felt like i was in a little micro bus on this bike. I feel it's confidence inspiring to me in poor weather conditions, and protects you from the elements pretty darn well, except maybe for the feet.

The only thing this bike lacks IMO is what some poeple call "character" or "bite". This bike is so well balanced and so smooth that you really kind of coast through everything without much "zing". Even in the twisties while chasing the 1000 cc ninjas i remember sweeping through a turn at 95mph being pretty uneventful and unemotional. This bike nearly drives itself and just brings you along with it! Therefore, I call it my magic carpet

So, for those wanting a daily rider/tourer that is easy to live with, the vstrom is outstanding. It is clear the vstrom was purpose built to excel at handling the daily routine. However, if you're only going out for fun rides on the weekends with your buds, and enjoy insane amounts of adrenaline, you might find the vstrom a bit uneventful. Since for me the former is much more important than the latter, I am really happy with my vstrom, the magic carpet

MariusD screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 12:47 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote