View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I think Honda is going after (what they see as) untapped markets.

New riders and Geezers (low seat height and automatic)

As one of the latter and also a short guy - each year (day?) throwing a leg over a bike is more difficult and hurts more. Leaning forward onto my wrists at all is painful after a very short time. This could be a motorcycle that keeps guys like me riding for a few more years. (Though scooters - for me - work better)

I believe Honda feels this bike will be a non-intimidating bike for new riders since they can put both feet on the ground and not have to learn to operate a clutch while also learning to ride.

I think clearly this is a compromise bike and not intended for the general market of riders. I applaud Honda for thinking out side the box. Lord knows there are enough Sport Bikes, Cruisers, Touring machines etc. out there for the general market.
I qualify as something of a geezer too @ 69 & counting. The leg thing is no problem for me-actually I'm very active & healthy guy. Tired from farm work today & moving sawmill lumber yesterday but ready to ride my big bike now! Mines for sale because I want to get into a lighter machine for when I'm simply older than now(plus I plan to ride my BMW vintage machine soon) and willing for that next machine to be a scoot. My MC has riser /set backs so the arm stuff is a non issue. The leg part is a non issue on the road but in parking lots & on the side of the road it can be a bitch if I don't get to call my spots as to when/where I can pull over on the side of the road,etc..Too bad that Honda "went outside the box & created a MC with 51hp"-thats a sick machine compared to other modern MC's & I'm not a HP freak or I'd be after 100hp these days. My old BMW R75/5 has that MC beat on ergonomics (for a geezer) & performance-only the brakes & electrics are ahead of that game w/Honda. I must admit, I really don't like the "space ship/star wars" look of most all modern MC's. The Honda will never get my $$$...Tupperware isn't cool!
I think the real problem in MC's offered today is that many are too tall for certain riders(me) or too much HP when what I really want is handling-think vintage Honda 500cc MC-they were far from the most powerful but arguably were the best riding bikes ever made & with some reliability plus you could get on one & afford it. Wh7y not use that concept and throw in modern brakes,etc. then if you want an automatic go buy a scoot. MC's don't need AT.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 04:26 PM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote