View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #43
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Pick the bike for the majority of the riding you plan to do. No scoot is perfect for everything, though some do quite well at most everything.

I've taken my GT200 to Canada and back to San Diego, and for the most part it was perfect. There were a couple of spots where I wished I had a Burgman with more weight and power, so I bought one. Over time I realized that the Burgman was mostly sitting in the garage, since I really preferred the ride of the Vespa for 90% of my riding. So I *think* I'm done with larger, heavier bikes. I just plan my route accordingly, and when I'm in a place or condition where the light weight of the scoot is a liability, I realize that this too shall soon pass.

Someone who spends most of their touring time on open highways would likely prefer the Burgman and find their lighter scoot sitting for long periods of time. Like Gogogordy says, a butt for every saddle.
That pretty much mirrors my experience as far as the Burgman goes. Had one and just found that the only place it was a pleassure to ride was on the freeway or wide open roads. The maxi form factor just doesn't "fit" me.

I do like the Italian 500s (Scarabeo or BV) but then they aren't much different from the BV 350 in ergonomics and ride. Given a choice between a Vespa GTS and a Burgman (any size) even for a long multi-day trip the Vespa would win out everytime unless speed to complete the trip was of the utmost essence then I'd simply take a car. Yep, I'd take my car over any scoot if getting there ASAP was the prime consideration.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote