Thread: Is Mexico Safe?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #15636
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
38% tax is based on the Aduana's used vehicle book, sort of like NADA but their version. Nafta vehicles VIN starts with a number, manufactured in North America. My Honda and Kawasaki VIN starts with a J, Japanese, hence I pay the 38% rate, '06 XR650R $1480.00 and '08 Kawasaki Versys $1990.00

You also need original title or bill of sale, and Mexican ID with photo and Mexican address like a Mexican Passport, Mexican Visa, or electoral card. No FMM, or you will need to import your bike under a Mexican's ID and then flip the ownership after the process is complete on the other side of the border. You will also need to pay for the plates that are issued in your state, but that should not be much.

I've got 30 days to return my foreign plated vehicles to the border and once there I can import/nationalize to return the vehicles to Mexico.

The laws will probably change again before I have a chance to post this,
I was quoted $800 to import the '06 Tiger. Not NAFTA bike - Vin begins with 'S.'

I have not been called back to immigration to pick up my new permanant ID card so I can't start the process yet. Living just outside the Sonora Free zone has its benefits. There are no Aduana checkpoints between the Free Zone on Hwy 15 and here. I hope to get the bike imported next week or the week after, along with the 2 SUVs. (Wife and I sharing the load on the max 2 vehicle rule.) I will write up what happens, when it happens.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote