Thread: Is Mexico Safe?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #15676
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
My last comment on this thread was about Altamirano, and I said it "wasn't magical". It's interesting to have just returned to San Miguel after a 4 day trip thru Valle de Bravo, Zihuatanejo, Patzcuaro and back to SMA, and my opinion has shifted a lot. I was more interested in the town this trip, found it captivating in some regards, and I plan on returning just to explore the town a bit more. I can also add that this is my second trip down the stretch of Rt. 134 between Altamirano and Zihuatanejo, which has been noted to have had some hijackings and robberies along it. The trip went without incident, and the single pick up truck coming the opposite direction waved at me as did several pedestrians. I did not stop for the 2-1/2 hour ride, so I may have decreased my target size accordingly by doing so. I will also add that when my girl and I rode the opposite direction a couple of years ago, we stopped a lot to take pics and stretch, again with no incidents to report. I will note again, that the area is "geologically active", and you will find the cliff side of the road is often strewn with rocks and rubble from above, and the occasional 4 ton boulder sloughing off into the roadway. Do ride with caution in this area for this reason alone. Personally, I found the ride between Valle de Bravo and Zihuat stellar, except for some road surface conditions, and plan on making this trip again. YMMV

The restaurant by the bridge at the south side of the town of Altamirano.

miguelito screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 04:47 PM Reason: Added a photo to keep the interest of the slower inmates.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote