View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Been a while, over the summer working on the house, keeping the BMW R90 track ready for classic racing the Monza got neglected, mind you no where near as much a previously.
Dismantled the forks and steering head.

The forks were to use a local expression munted.
chromed needed doing, new cartridges were needed, and so on....
I put them back together in the mean time.
The steering head rotates on some bicycle bearings that Moto Guzzi must have got in a job lot from the English.....last time I saw that arrangement was on a 1958 T110 I restored in the early 90's.
I put it all back together with new grease and hoped that it was going to be nice and smooth.

There are 3 brembo P05 calipers, small versions of the ones used on Ducatis and big block Guzzis ( Guzzi jargon )
The local Guzzi guy said there are no parts available, the internet suggested otherwise. Steve at Bevel Heaven had all the parts as Pantah use them too.
The pistons did not want to come out after 10 years of sitting...
Used the old grease gun trick and they came apart easily.

After rebuilding the calipers I put the whole thing back together and got it running and rideable.
The motor always ran but responded well to a carb clean, points and advance fettle, oil change etc.
Took it for a test run down the street and around the block and around the block again.... wow that V twin sound sure is nice.
That was back in Jan/Feb and since then I have been pondering about the forks and the steering head.
Trawled the net and found that you could get a taper roller conversion, also found that V65 forks would fit.
Eventually found a reasonably priced set on Ebay Germany and post was very reasonable.
My engineer friend made up a set of taper bearing housing that press into the frame, just need a longer steering head pin.
Well, as luck would have it the V65 forks came with a triple tree and the pin is longer

Did a trial assembly this week and it all looks to work, realised that I need a 15mm longer axle and a spacer.
At this stage I'm going to run with handlebars as the top clamp has the fittings and get the bike complied and back on the road.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote