View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwood99 View Post
X-rays at the first hospital showed 8 broken ribs, 5 of them twice, flailed chest syndrome (because of all the broken ribs), broken collar bone, broken scapula, and a punctured lung.

Now [the shoulder] looks like this.
You are very lucky to be alive. The shoulder was collateral damage. Flailed chest has a 50% mortality rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwood99 View Post
Is my internal calculator off, or would you say this is what you would expect?

I welcome any thoughts on this.
Consider what your gear protects. The helmet padding protects your head from the vertical fall - from top of the bike to the ground. The helmet shell and the leather/textiles - those protect tissues from abrasion during the horizontal slide. And the armor - that protects bones from impacts during the horizontal tumble.

Spare the helmet, none of this gear is particularly good for providing crush protection. From your description, the bike levered you into the ground. You have heard stories of folk that die of a head wound when simply dropping a bike - the forces in your circumstances were multiplied by the weight and speed of the motorcycle.

In the instant you hit the ground, your body experienced forces similar to being pinned under a truck. I would not expect to survive.