View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #965
totomoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFur View Post
In a way this can be the very reason for lack of confidence in materials - because we don't know the details. Looking for a new jacket I initially dismissed some of these jackets (as well as jackets from other companies with other unknown fabrics) as I didn't know what "PWR|Shell" was and assumed just a fancy named polyester . The advantage of something like Cordura is that there is information on the actual test results for abrasion testing on the net so you know what your getting. I've since worked out that Powershell is a polyamide and should be OK but without test result numbers still have concerns in the back of my mind - It's hard to know where marketing hype begins and reality ends.
+1. I have looked for information about fabric materials on several manufacturers' websites and couldn't find much. I, too, came to the conclusion that whenever fabrics are called some fantasy name like Mugello, Titanium, Power whatever, it must be some sort of polyester. Otherwise, why are manufacturers not providing more information including test data if these fabrics are so great? Providing no information is certainly not building consumer confidence.
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote