View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #54
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
I'll toss my two cents in. On my Corvette, you disconnect the battery for a while and it will reset the learned fuel trims in the ECU. Known as long term fuel trims. Each ECU is different and the car/bike learns according to its environment, mods, and fuel used. I can see where disconnecting the battery would do something on the KTM. Obviously the dealer would have a diagnostic tool and wouldn't need to disconnect the battery. I can also see where idling it for 15 minutes may somehow put the ECU into a learn mode. Which would explain why things get better initially. Then as time goes on, the ECU is adjusting itself and things may get back to where they were before. Moral of the story is that without a proper tune for your mods, you may not be satisfied with the 15 minute relearn. I'm about to put Termignoni cans from a 998 on my 990. I'll do the 15 minute relearn and see how I like it. If it has undesirable characteristics I will tune the ECU. Right now I get 38-39mpg and would like to keep that the same or better.
The KTM diagnostic tool (or TuneECU) must be used to do a reset adaptation before doing the 15 minute idle. TuneECU automatically does a reset adaptation when loading a new map. There is no mention of disconnecting the battery before doing a 15 minute idle in the KTM shop manuals. If this was the method of resetting adaptation, owners manuals would likely mention the need of doing the 15 minute idle after changing batteries.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 05:52 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote