View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #391
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Very cool. Are the floors not in the kitchen yet, or do you have some sort of cover over them? How long do you think you'll spend grinding the counters, all told?

Are you doing the tile in the bathrooms, too? I see that someone is using kerdi there. That stuff is not as easy as it looks for getting a nice flat surface to set tile on.

Edit: and yeah, it seems like Google is making picasa more of a pain to use so that people will join google plus. argggh.
The kitchen floor is concrete. Our plan for the time being is to clean it up and seal it, maybe tint the sealer a bit and see how we like it. If we don't like it we'll just tile over it. So for now we don't worry so much about getting it dirty/wet, although we've taken precautions to protect it.

Grinding the counters hasn't been all that bad. I bought a pretty nice wet grinder made just for this sort of thing and I've patiently gone up through the various grits. That one section I've got in along the perimeter of the kitchen is about 45 square feet and each grit takes about 45-60 minutes to do. My wife stays right next to me with the wet vac to keep things as clean and dry as possible- it's a real pain doing them in place, but I still think it was the right thing to do given the location of the sink and cooktop cutouts. The GC is really impressed with the fact that there aren't any joints in it (and that was another reason I chose this method). So when it's all said and done it'll be less than 6 hours of grinding for that section. I've still got the island to do, but I'm casting that upside down in a mold and will be able to work on it outside. That will go faster since I don't have to keep pace with the wet vac. All in all I'm very impressed with the whole concept and will be doing more of it in the future. Some aspects of it are harder than expected, and some are easier.

Our lead guy is doing the tile in the shower. We've found that he's exceptional at just about everything he touches, and the tile work is no different. I can do a pretty decent job on the floor tile- I'm pretty anal about getting everything flat and straight- but I wasn't willing to tackle a shower just yet.

Better get to work!
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote