View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #483
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Let's revive this thread!

I know it's not an off-road worthy bike, so there are other forums more fit for it but, I'll let you know my experience.

I have a 650 Versys 2010 and have been thinking of upgrading it. That said, I have test-driven most of the newer bikes out there. I've driven the Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, the Honda Crosstourer for 212km, the new WC BMW R1200GS, the Aprilia Caponord 1200, the KTM 1190 Adventure and lastly the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

Well, much for my surprise, it was the kawi that made my heart race!!! Sure, all other bikes were pretty dam good, sure, I loved testing them but, if they all were priced the same (or if price didn't matter) I'd pick the Versys 1000. It was the onÁly I finished the test-drive saying: "It'll be my next bike".

Why you might ask? Well, to each it's own, and you probably don't share the same view, but that motor is SWEET. It has an amazing torque, pulling from low revs all the way up, making you grin along the way! It corners pretty dam well and, for a newb like me, the suspensions were spot on! Confort was superb, wind protection was par to the BMW and it's fuel range is adequate (KTM's better but after 350km I think I deserve a break)

Being that, in Portugal, the Versys 1000 is, at least, 3.000Ä cheaper than the others (KTM, HONDA and APRILIA) and a whooping 8.000Ä cheaper than the BMW, my choice is pretty obvious.

From the others... Moto Guzzi Norge is a sweet ride, a true tourer, but it's a little out-dated, Honda Crosstourer I just felt... BIG (being 1.70m) and HEAVY, Aprilia Caponord 1200 was really nice ride but it sure eats up gas and it was made to a price point (buttons felt cheap, plastic covers flimsy), BMW R1200GS is really well made and it's a torque monster, probably the best bike of the bunch but way too expensive, and too jerky, kawasaki's I-4 is just smoother (though I was really impressed with the progress they made regarding this new version). KTM's 1190 is a hell of a machine, but with a sport driven engine I felt like I had to pull it too up the revs to awake him. The way kawasaki's gears are done, you have all the power you need lower in the rev range than even the KTM's 2-V.

Well, let's see some photos of your's

I'll give you 1 of each test-drive ;D