Thread: Iowa Roll Call
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #4421
Motorcyclelad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
It's hard to justify the dangers of riding sometimes, especially when you have four young children like I do. But on the other hand, people die of silly stuff all the time like choking on a low fat raisin cluster organic granola bar.
I definitely ride differently than I did back in the day before I had kids, but I can't quit riding.
I guess the enjoyment and benefits far outweigh the chances of injury, dismemberment, paraplegia, and death.
Plus it's an addiction, or a genetic disorder. Either you have it or you don't. Or in some cases you may just not have it YET.
Many of my first memories are of standing near motorcycles or scooters or any motorized two wheeled machine admiring them and wising I could ride them.
It's just like shooting up heroin with a stranger, yes it's risky, but it feels good (ok, I'm kidding about that one).
I guess it can be best demonstrated by the actions of my best buddy from college, who I've ridden thousands and thousands of miles with. He got T-boned by an Asian foreign exchange student and lost all his toes and most of his left foot smashed between her bumper and the crankcase of his XT350, yet he used the insurance money to buy another bike (a DR250 which he couldn't ride for about six months because he first had to learn to walk, then make a homemade prosthetic to shift with). The bottom line is this: Yes, riding cost him his foot, but it was also the motivation for re-learning to walk and making it through all those surgeries and therapy, so maybe it's more of a catch 22. In other words, of what value is life if you don't have anything worth dyeing for.
Sorry about the rambling rant, it didn't make much sense to me either, and I wrote it.