k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,995
From RAAM via FB:

MARIA PARKER OUT OF THE RACE
By Vic Armijo
June 14, 2013
Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Maria Parker had been having a good race. Her pace was going well, she wasn't far behind Kathy Roche-Wallace and she hadn't encountered any problems—that is until a motorist who was reportedly texting crashed into the back of her follow van outside of Tuba City, Arizona. Word is that fortunately none of her crew members were seriously hurt, but the same can't be said of her back-up bikes that were on the back of the vehicle; the were crushed. With her equipment destroyed along with the morale of her crew Parker had no choice than to pack it in.

This is a heart-breaking end to an inspiring effort, “My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer back in October and I decided that I wanted to do something that would make a difference,” Parker related back in Oceanside, “Race Across America is the biggest platform that I have available to me with the skills that I have. We decided to do RAAM and raise a million dollars for brain cancer research.”We're hoping that during RAAM we'll raise a lot and then we'll just keep on going. I've got a team of young people helping me on this. We're really using social media a lot. My nephews did 'Drive Across America' a couple of weeks ago. They drove this route to raise money. We've got Facebook, Twitter, the website is 3000MilesToACure.com. And we have a Text To Give number. If you text the word 'Race' to 20222 you can make a ten dollar donation. And essentially that's what we're looking for—we want 100,000 ten dollar donations. We hope that when people think about cancer and want to do something that this will be an easy way for people to give.”
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote