Originally Posted by pingvin
Used the X-551 this year. Had several Schuberths S1 and R1 and no way I'm having a helmet without integrated sun visor for touring. After killing my last R1 (saved my head in a high sider), I gave the X-551 a try. But not 100% happy:
1. Sun visor not as good as Schuberth (might be other options than stock that's better). Not talking about mechanism but Schubreth was at least as dark but still clearer (if that made sense).
2. Not as quiet as Schuberth, which i didn't expect either so not a big thing (Schuberth is VERY quiet)
3. My nose touches the helmet. Combination small head/big nose...but it's not THAT big. Very annoying, might try cutting out some material. Not much, actually takes a little bit of wind pressure before touches, still annoying.
4. Fits OK but still gives me a head ache. Might not be an issue for others, guess a pressure thing?
1. Cool design, works for any bike
2. Though not as good as Schuberth, the sun visor is still a nice feature
3. Even at higher speeds (say 130kph), you don't really notice the beak, nice job on aerodynamics
So all in all not that happy, but my main issues may not be a problem for others.
Just finished a 3 day trip in Norway passing several mountains at low temps (close to freezing at times). What I really noticed was that even with all vents closed it's pretty drafty and that was what gives me the headache so not a pressure issue. Solved by pulling buff over my head. (Should add draft always give me head ache, AC is terrible).
So solved worst problem for me but still not super happy. Suomy have new helmet with similar concept, might give it a try http://www.suomy.com/en/products/mx-...ajaxnavigation