Oddometer: 1,152
2005 KTM 950 ADV stall, backfire, sputter issue

My third 9xx KTM. Here are the vitals:

Just bought it about two weeks ago.
12,100 miles - appears to be very unmolested
Performed OC Wisdom SAS/cannisterectomy removal
Installed D&D pipes
Rejetted carb with Pro Factory kit
Installed sportingwood's intake and ITG foam filter; this removes airbox entirely
Bike ridden between 600 and 2000 ft
Performed flappendectomy

Rode it last night for first decent distance. Prior, just starting and running around neighborhood - in which it was running very nice. Although it does seem it should pull a little harder from the bottom (stock gearing).

So last night, rode it to downtown Nashville - it was about 94 degrees heading down. Gas could be a little old in it - prior owner rode bike maybe 1,000 miles in 15 months.

For first 15-20 minutes of the ride, performed great.
Then, it began sputtering, hesitating. Oil temperature held at 4 bars most of the ride, 5 when sitting at stop light.
I was required to rev RPMs to keep it going....then it died. Did backfire a few times - from what I recall, did so on decell. Bike seemed to be starving for fuel.

Please provide some direction and advice - thanks a ton!!

I plan to re-check my venting and hoses. Sparkplug wires, battery connections, etc. to start. I've read about the ignition switch contacts.

Fuel pump?? I've researched the vacuum pump to replace the stock electronic. Just ordered from Alternate Cycle. Not sure if thats the issue at hand, but liked the idea.
teambft is online now   Reply With Quote