View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #83
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
It is good to be back in good old US of A. We try to plan our summer vacation around being in the US during 4th of July. This year we are up in Ashland Wisconsin for some bass fishing on Lake Superior.

I'm a bit of a GPS geek. I like to use the GPS in conjunction with Google Earth to help plan the routes in the Sierra and after the ride I like to see where I actually went. I just recently figured out how to make these videos in Google Earth Professional. These videos were made using a one week trial version of GE professional. I'm not ready to throw down $400 USD on the full license just yet. The frame in these videos is following the as built track that I recorded. The user can play around with the distance from the earth, the camera angle, the speed and the resolution and some other stuff.

The videos are divided into Day 1 and Day 2 of the ride.

The drop down into the Upper Rio Prsidio River Valley in the afternoon of Day 1 was my favorite part of the ride. It took us about 3 hours of downhill switchbacks to get down there and another 2.5 to get back up. It is a very isolated area. Very little human presence down there but a gold mine that has been closed since the early 1970s. Not even a tiendita to by some chips or a juice.

Enjoy. I'm heading out on the lake for the day.

SR screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 01:50 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote