View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #20069
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
day 2 found us riding a short bit of pavment into fruita which is maybe 15 miles west of hanksville on 24 and its a geourgous twisty ride. once in fruita turn into the capitol reef national park. ride that out to the end and pickup sulpher creek trail / spring gulch out towards the lower bowns reservoir. the rest of the time we picked trails that just looked interesting so I wish I could tell you which ones specifically but it was truly whichever way the wind blew.

we eventually started making tracks back later the 2nd night from this area to spend the 2nd night in torrey Utah. torreys a cool little town with plenty of great places to eat, café Diablo at the west end of town was awesome but.......its expensive.

after a chillaxing the night at the best western which is on the south end of town (hot tub and pool) we picked up the great western trail 1 mile outside of torrey. the GWT is great but be prepared for rocks, rocks and more rocks. you can pick up a free map of the trail from the visitors center in torrey. the map shows caution areas of the trail, usally theres work arounds on these sections but , we were men so we rode them and its great just be ready for some clutch work.

we rode the gwt for 30 miles, but then had to peel off just before cathedral valley and pickup the highway to makes tracks towards Layton to be home before dark.

I hope this helps you guys out, I know its not as good as gpx tracks but there's a ton of stuff to explore down there.

ride safe!

Looks like you are on the hook to take us on a guided tour. shame on you for having no GPS tracks
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote