Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #30199
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,380
My evening ride last night, the usual, brutal headwind blowing inland, so I warmed up headed with it.
Felt good after a couple days off the bike, and hammered myself in places. Found a new max at 181, and averaged a nice middling 134. I maxed climbing up to the road from the river chasing, catching and passing and making it stick for a few miles too. A younger rider, who didn't climb.
My legs are coming back. The gut is leaving the building too.
Elvis ain't gone, but he is on his way out. Viva Las Vegas.

Enough, Strava:

He re-caught me but I was about a quarter mile from my turn back up the hill and had turned into the shifted wind and pretty much kicked it back to cruise almost survive mode. I didn't need to drop to the granny on the way back so that was good. My averaged dropped from 16.2 to 15.8 with the climb slowing me that last mile. My heart rate dropped quickly after getting home and grabbing a glass of water, and slowly began my evening chores.
Legs are sore today but not terribly so. Not flat like they were a few days ago. I think I got them worked a good bit.
My plan for a long ride Saturday got a little wrench tossed in with some extended family coming in, but I have Sunday so I'll ride then.
Felt good to run pretty hard and not hurt or blow up. When I maxed on that climb, I knew I could just keep rolling. That is what training does, prepares you so you know what to expect and how much more there is in the tank.
a lot like driving those old Volkswagen Beetles before gas gauges. You really had to keep track and pay attention to the odometer. After a while you knew by looking at it how far you could push things before you were pushing.

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 11:58 AM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote