View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #3035
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 260
Single speed is not something most people like, but it really works for me, it puts you in a zen mode, and keep everything sinmple and stupid :-)

I really like to climb the mountains, all year round, and we had enormous problems with deraileurs freezing at -20 celsius, and seizing i mud and piles of crap that we ride through, so I got stuck frequently in one gear for the half of the climb, and it used to repeat it self over and over. I tried with normal Deore, XTR and X7 and X0 groupsets over the years but it all gets clogged up and stop to work on extreeme temperatures so the only solution was to put a single speed on. I experimented with couple of setups and I found that a Sram ( Truvativ ) Stylo factory singlespeed drive is virtually indestructable and can ride all day long. For mud and snow I ride 32 front, 18 back, and for a road and travels I ride 44 front and 16 back. I can manage 15% climbs with this setup, which is more than enough, because in most of the Europe, maximial angle of the paved roads is up to 10%

I think pictures say more than words :-)

Snow everywhere

My trusty old Norco before it singlespeed days :-)

This is a rear road that has a 13% climb, and it takes a LOT of stamina and even more energy bars to climb up to this sucker, but on a SS bike you allways have 3 gears, sitting down, standing up and walking, so there is no real problem :-)

Cheers folks, this is a very interesting thread
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote