View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #3038
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by aposaric View Post
Single speed is not something most people like, but it really works for me, it puts you in a zen mode, and keep everything sinmple and stupid :-)

I really like to climb the mountains, all year round, and we had enormous problems with deraileurs freezing at -20 celsius, and seizing i mud and piles of crap that we ride through, so I got stuck frequently in one gear for the half of the climb, and it used to repeat it self over and over. I tried with normal Deore, XTR and X7 and X0 groupsets over the years but it all gets clogged up and stop to work on extreeme temperatures so the only solution was to put a single speed on. I experimented with couple of setups and I found that a Sram ( Truvativ ) Stylo factory singlespeed drive is virtually indestructable and can ride all day long. For mud and snow I ride 32 front, 18 back, and for a road and travels I ride 44 front and 16 back. I can manage 15% climbs with this setup, which is more than enough, because in most of the Europe, maximial angle of the paved roads is up to 10%

I think pictures say more than words :-)
Single speed obviously works for you and if that's what you like that's great, but wouldn't something like a Rohloff give you gears and still work in those conditions just fine? Just curious more than anything...

--Donnie