View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
I know - sounds odd. I have room for two motorcycles in my life right now. Been getting a bit bored with the 76 R90 and have been kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a sport bike. 46 years old - never owned one - do it before it is too late! Something for 1-2 hour weekend/after dinner rides. Maybe an occasional track day but i have never done that and not sure i will really find the time.

Thoughts?
I agree with some others above: K1200S is a fine bike but for what you say you want, there would be better fits.

The K12S has plenty of power but what makes a high-power modern sportbike so exciting is to have that much power in a very small, nimble package.

For afternoon blasts, there is no shortage of choice. A GSX-R 1000/R1/Fireblade would be available for the price of a K12S. The Duc 998 could be great if you're happy accommodating Ducati quirks but it won't be as quick (still plenty, IMO, but not hypersports in the modern sense). If you like BMWs, there is of course the S1000RR. (I'm assuming the Aprilia V4 is out of reach.)

The supernakeds are well worth a thought as well, for your purposes. Ducati Streetfighter 1098/Aprilia Tuono/Triumph Speed Triple etc. That sort of motor feels even quicker with the bodywork off.

If possible, ride an S1000RR/GSX-R1000/R1/Fireblade and a K1200S before making your mind up. You will notice the difference.