View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #987
RevZilla
Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
I have the Defender jacket and absolutely love it. I'm in the process of switching everything to Gore Tex but I too need help justifying the cost of the Defender pants. I know the quality is there; I'm still wearing my 2007 Dakar pants the exterior of which has held up well and I nurse the old Hydratex liner along a tube of seam seal and a can of silicone camp spray.

Can you compare for me the Defender pant vs the Dianese Bruce and Galvestone and some of the Klim offerings? I may be willing to sacrifice venting to stay in the budget - but Gore Tex is imperative. What would you recommend?
Hi Ken,

The REV'IT! Defender has a few advantages over similar offerings from Dainese and Klim. The 2 Dainese Gore-Tex pants you mentioned have non-removable Gore-Tex membranes (Z-Liner construction), which means one less liner to fuss with, but not as light or breathable in hot weather. The Dainese Talos offers similar function to the REV'IT! Defender GTX, but is more designed for touring and less for the abuse of Adventure Touring.
Klim gear is plenty robust and purpose built for Adventure Touring, but most of their pants are shell's only. Again, fixed Gore-Tex with no thermal liners.

If you are looking for a cold & wet weather only touring pant, Klim and Dainese make some awesome selections. If you are looking for something more true 4-season, with the flexibility of a waterproof drop liner, the Defender GTX are still one of the best options out there.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla

RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A
RevZilla is offline   Reply With Quote