View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #988
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZilla View Post
Hi Ken,

The REV'IT! Defender has a few advantages over similar offerings from Dainese and Klim. The 2 Dainese Gore-Tex pants you mentioned have non-removable Gore-Tex membranes (Z-Liner construction), which means one less liner to fuss with, but not as light or breathable in hot weather. The Dainese Talos offers similar function to the REV'IT! Defender GTX, but is more designed for touring and less for the abuse of Adventure Touring.
Klim gear is plenty robust and purpose built for Adventure Touring, but most of their pants are shell's only. Again, fixed Gore-Tex with no thermal liners.

If you are looking for a cold & wet weather only touring pant, Klim and Dainese make some awesome selections. If you are looking for something more true 4-season, with the flexibility of a waterproof drop liner, the Defender GTX are still one of the best options out there.

Cheers,
Ali
TeamZilla
Thank you Ali, you eloquently reiterated what I guess I already knew. I can either sacrifice some versatility and upper temp range or shell out for the Defender. I suppose I just needed to hear it. One way or the other, I'll be in touch before my next winter trip.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote