View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would like to see a new kind of maxi scooter. One with larger wheels (17" sport bike sized wheels should work fine) a short wheelbase, around 55", and a 500cc engine. It would have the same riding position of a smaller scooter like a Zuma 125, but be larger. But not long. It should have more motorcycle like proportions, but still be a step through with a completely flat floor, and a scooter type CVT drivetrain. I would like to have a much larger scooter, but I don't want one a mile long. Not only do these super long scooters not look good to me, but they are clumsy and awkward around town and in parking lots.
I doubt that you will see that. Here's why. Most maxi scooter riders seem to be more interested in being able to stretch out their feet, a low seat height, and have a lot of storage than they are in nimble handling and light weight. The reason for the long wheelbases and smaller wheels are to provide those things, not for stability. Sport bikes are stable due to their rigid frames more than the 17" wheels. If you built a scooter like you wanted, it would likely have a tall seat and limited underseat storage. There are some scooters close to what you want so why not go for one of these: Kymco GT300i, Aprilia Scarabeo 500, Piaggio BV500, and the new BV350 is close but the floor is not completely flat. They all have upright seating positions, 16" wheels, and are very capable of highway riding.

Kymco tried to provide a maxi scooter with lighter weight, shorter wheelbase and more nimble handling. Look how well that has sold in the US. I'm talking about the DT300. Every one complains about the lack of legroom.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote