View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #589
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
There is a pre-60 trials movement in the UK that caters to those true 1950's heavyweight production trials bikes...but "pre-65" is quite accurate for the "Millerized" Ariel as shown here earlier. Whether a fuel-injected, monoshock, disc-braked Triumph Tiger Cub with an alloy perimeter frame qualifies is a matter for debate of course!
Yes, I've heard of a few such events there although not as main stream as the pre-65 movement. I know the Ariel club has run a few to let owners of the earlier production HTs compete with their own kind, so to speak. As you noted, production of them ended in 1958 and all the Sammy Miller GOV132 development took place in the early sixties before his move to Bultaco...hence the "pre-65" thing. Classic events I have ridden here in North America haven't even used that terminology. More of a UK thing I think, where there is a big huff over the "tricked-out" factor of some competing machines...a result of the popularity of the class and modified bikes clashing with the purist movement. Here in North America it's almost a non-issue due to the minimal impact of either! For me, a production 1950's HT was not in the cards. A grand total of four of them came to Canada with the wherabouts of them all known and none for sale! The "Millerized" bikes are a much more practical ride for events here, far more capable and enjoyable to ride and even worth more when complete due to their extra appeal for riding events.
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote