Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #17733
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanse1 View Post
I have limited fabrication skills and tools to bend an aluminum plate---can i see a close up of your tool tube mount? just clasp pipe hangers bolted to the tool kit mounts?
Most of the aluminum bracket jobbies are made from pre bent aluminum angle. The angle is bolted to the stock tool tube mounting location and a few slots cut in the angle aright at the bend to slot hose clamps through it. Doing this way postiions the tube in a better location.

With mine I jsut used two hose clamps through the tol box mount large holes. Then I bolted one of the tube's mounting ears to the threaded hole on the helmet lock mount (the weird looking tab on the plate holder bracket). The other mounting ear I use to have bolted to the back side of the battery box. However the tire woudl rub it, so I hacked it off. THe problem with mounting it this way is that the lid rubs the fender slightly, the threads of the cap get cross threaded, though they look like they are engaged properly. After severla miles of rocky bumpy jumpy trail the cap falls off and you lose your tools. More like strwen over miles of trail. That is why people opt to use the exhaust clamp of the angle bracket.

I no longer carry that tool tube. FUCK Tools. My DR has never borken down on me. Actualy it is jsut a PITA to get your tools in and out of. So I did not reinstall the tube after a rework.