View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #4217
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Hoyt mine?
Close enough. Its at the bottom of the Hoyt Trail. Some call it the Hoyt Mine Trail so I assume there may be a mine nearby. In any case, the Hoyt trail is a very fun, but technical (steep) trail.

One time riding up the trail, had the chance to show a very skilled rider the trail. This guy was twice the rider that I have ever been (he was training for the 6 days and in fact rode the 6 days a short time later.) I told him about this really steep and technical trail and he wanted to ride it. I warned him it was really steep and to be prepared. I let him lead and we started up the steep switchbacks just above the cabin. We both made it up that section without incident. I have to assume he thought that section was the really steep part I had been talking about. What he didn't know and therefore was unprepared for the really steep section you hit after going around a turn in the trail. In any case, he only made it halfway up the really steep section. I have to assume he was relaxing, thinking he had already passed what I had warned as being a really steep section and by the time he saw the really steep section, didn't have enough time to gain the necessary speed to make it all the way up. I knew where the steep section was and was fully prepared and hit it as hard as I could. It was not pretty, but I did make it to the top past where he was stalled out. After laughing about it for a bit, he turned around to try the section again, this time being fully prepared. He shot up the steep section and made it look real easy and redeemed himself as this young man could not let an old man even begin to out ride him. In any case, he didn't relax anymore riding the rest of the trail and rode so fast I was unable to keep him in sight until we reached the end of the trail.

Sapling, you're up.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote